Thursday, June 27, 2013

DIY Classroom Projects

I can spend hours and hours on DIY projects for my classroom. As my patient boyfriend would call it, "arts and crafts time". (It's a great way to fill time while he watches a three-hour Orioles game.) 

Starting in student teaching, I have been making most of my own resources for each lesson. Yes, it takes a lot of unnecessary time out of my day. And yes, I am reinventing the wheel. I am just a perfectionist when it comes to what I use for each lesson- and I am coming to realize I am the same way when it comes to my classroom. While I could easily make the trip to Lakeshore and buy most of the things I am making...it won't match up to the picture I have in my mind. So, instead, I spend hours at my computer creating and then hours with scissors and glue and construction paper. But I am beyond thrilled with the results of each project! (I'd like to take a second to stop and thank my trusty ol' Canon printer for all of it's hard work and energy...poor thing hasn't had a second of rest since last July.)

First up- My Word Wall! 


 I spent a good amount of time on TPT looking for a great set of letters to use for my word wall. While I was finding some adorable options, once again- none of them were matching the picture I had in my mind. So-as Adam sat down to watch the Orioles play the Indians, I found my perfect opportunity to create my own word wall letters! The pencil clipart was downloaded from TPT from Creative Clips Digital Clipart for FREE! Click here if you want to take a look! I also offer the finished version of my word wall letters in my TPT store. 

After printing them out, I decided I wanted to paste them on a black background to make them stand out. I love sparkles and glitter- so I then decided they needed to be sparkly (duh). So, off to Michaels I went. I found the PERFECT black glittery paper (just a little expensive if you ask me- $2 a sheet. It adds up when you need 5 sheets!) But I splurged, got the sparkly paper, and am SO. OBSESSED. 


 I tried so hard to get a picture where you can see the sparkle of the paper. It looks so much better in real life!


These are my word wall words I purchased from TPT. You can get them here. I love how they look with my letters!


 Since the word wall words I purchased came with 211 words (LOTS of printing and LOTS of cutting), I needed a good place to organize them rather than the Disney princess Ziplock bag I was using. I wish I could remember where I found this idea on Pinterest. Someone suggested using a business card organizer for word wall words. Whoever you are- thank you! I found this little organizer on sale at Walmart for $2. Now my 211 words have a home and are neatly alphabetized! 



Next up, Classroom Jobs. This is one of the first DIY projects I put together!


For the title, I typed it on Word then made the font like 200, and printed it out. I cut each letter out and glued it on checkered paper from Michaels. Then cut those letters out (so-much-cutting). I glued the letters on this green poster from Lakeshore. At this point, I laminated the whole poster. Then onto the envelopes. They are from Lakeshore too. I made each label on word using graphics from My Cute Graphics. Cut out the labels, pasted them on the same checkered paper that I did the letters, cut THOSE out, glued them on the envelopes. (Seriously don't know how I didn't develop carpel tunnel from all the cutting). To make the envelopes last, I covered them with clear packaging tape as a sort of lamination. Then I used double-sided tape to attach each envelope to the poster. Tada! I will assign jobs by writing names on thick popsicle sticks and putting the popsicle sticks in each envelope.


 Close up of the letters.


 Close up of the envelopes.


 I have seen a lot of people on Pinterest make some kind of version of this poster for their classroom. I think the original post I saw for this poster was from this blog.  I did my own version. I typed the words on Word, printed and cut them out. Pasted them on colored paper, then cut once again. The graphics are from My Cute Graphics.  I pasted the words on a poster board. The border is from Lakeshore. LOVE the colors of this and can't wait to put it on the front door of my classroom!


 I drew this little Cat in the Hat about a year ago. I drew it and wrote quotes around it, and now have decided I wasn't digging the hand-written quotes. So I cut out the drawing, pasted him on a new poster and printed off the Dr. Seuss quote. I LOVE this one too! Just need to put a cute border around it. Can't wait to find a good place to hang it!


 Same story with this one. Ditched the hand-written quotes I had done and added a nice, neatly printed quote! Just needs a border!


 This is going to go above my classroom door. I did the same kind of thing as I did for my Classroom Jobs chart. Printed huge letters, cut them out, pasted them on polka dot paper, cut those letters out, and glued them to white paper. Then I added a border using scrap paper I had leftover. Laminated then DONE! 


 This might be my favorite. I was struggling with what I would put on the board that is in front of my classroom sink. I have seen a lot of teachers put posters about hand washing and germs. I decided to do something different. I am going to put a mirror on the board, with this Cat in the Hat hat above it! So when a student looks in the mirror, it will look like they are wearing the hat!

To make the hat, I was suckered in to buying the overpriced glittery paper again from Michaels. One in red and one in white. I made a stencil kind of template of a hat and cut out each section. Hard to explain...but it worked out perfectly. Again, it's hard to see the sparkles in the picture! 


 These are going to go above the hat on the board in front of the sink. I printed the words off Word, cut them out and pasted them on some other shiny red overly expensive paper from Michaels. So worth it though- can't wait to see how this board turns out!


 Close-up of the letters. You can kind-of see the shine.


 My birthday board is still a work in progress. The Happy Birthday sign is still waiting for a glittery background. I just need to talk myself into spending more money on paper...


 Gah- I LOVE THESE! They were tough to make but they're too cute! I bought all the different patterned paper from Michaels (not as expensive as the sparkly paper- about 60 cents a page.) The tan paper is also cardstock from Michaels. Then I made two different cupcake-topper stencils by drawing them on construction paper and cutting them out. I stenciled the topper on each of the patterned paper, cut them out and added lines with a Sharpie. The tan bottom was also made with a stencil. The lines were drawn with a Sharpie. Then I typed up the months, printed and cut, then pasted and laminated each one! LOVE IT!


 I have been drooling over the teacher toolboxes I've been seeing on Pinterest! I finally convinced myself to create one. I took a trip to Home Depot and Lowes, but left empty handed. They didn't have THIS version of the toolbox I wanted- and of course, when I have a vision in my mind, nothing else will do. So I ended up buying the toolbox from Amazon for $30.

 I made the labels on Word. If you make your own labels, make sure you check the dimensions of each drawer so you can size your labels on Word to fit the drawers. I was able to check the dimensions of the drawers on Amazon. After printing the labels and cutting them, I laminated. A lot of people taped their labels to the inside of the drawers. I thought that it faded the color of mine, so I used double-sided tape and taped them to the outside. 


 I got this organizer from Walmart for around $9. The labels were made on Word then cut out and laminated and taped on.


 I created a teacher binder for myself to organize all my classroom information. Once again, TPT offers a lot of really great teacher binder templates and organizers. And, once again, I needed one to fit my vision. So I made my own binder cover and dividers. 


 I used my handy little label maker to make the labels on each divider. 


 I'm still working on my writing center. But these are the basics for the bulletin board. I just need to paste some of the things on colorful, fun paper and laminate.


 Here I go again, reinventing the wheel. TPT had TONS of Common Core checklists for first grade. But I just NEEDED to make my own. Once I'm totally finished my Common Core pack, it will be up in my TPT store!


 Sneak peek at the checklists



 I made these poems to go next to my calendar each month. There is a poem for each month (except July and August, the Back to School poem can be used for August and September). They are easy to read and fun for kids! You can get them here.


Last but not least- my objective starters and my schedule cards! I made the objective starters in Word and pasted them on patterned paper then laminated and put magnets on the back. Same with the schedule cards- but I did not make them on my own. I really wish I remember where I downloaded them from TPT but I can't seem to find them. They are great, though. 

I know I already gave a shout-out to my printer, but I am realizing my trusty old scissors deserve credit too! So much cutting! I am seriously considering investing in a paper cutter... if anyone knows of a cheap place to buy a good one, please share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment