Thursday, June 27, 2013

Classroom finds

As I mentioned in my first post- I am a new teacher on a budget. A very. tight. budget. This has lead me to become the queen of bargain hunting. I have been scouring every goodwill within a 30 mile radius of my home. Goodwills have been a jackpot for me. Just a little piece of Goodwill-shopping advice: don't go to just one. I have probably visited about 5 different Goodwills just in the past two weeks. It's a pain to travel but it's SO worth it when you find that perfect something for your classroom. I have also been popping into Hobby Lobby for deals and even Walmart and Target. I often won't buy something unless it's on sale..mainly because I am convinced I can find it somewhere else for cheaper! (and I usually do!)


One thing you must know about me is that I am OBSESSED with all that is Mary Engelbreit. Her illustrations and all of her adorable calendars and posters- I have never met a Mary Engelbreit product that I haven't LOVED. I had to splurge on these classroom posters when I found them on Amazon for $13. They also came with little book marks. I just need to get them through the laminator! 

If you want to take a look, I bought them here.

 Ugh, Mary Engelbreit strikes again. I was at one of the two-million Goodwills I've been to when I found this little recipe box. Fifty. Cents. (Is Goodwill out of their mind? Selling anything Mary Engelbreit for 50 cents seems like a sin! I think I would have paid five dollars for this;) I haven't decided what I will use it for- but nonetheless, I'm obsessed. (Seriously...go to Goodwill).

 Since it is a recipe box, this is on the top. Not very fitting for a first grade classroom. I'm planning on making something to paste over this picture to label what is in the box. First I need to figure out what will be in the box first. Hmm..

I was excited to find these at Hobby Lobby..and even MORE excited to find out they were 50% off! I think I ended up getting them for $7 each. They came in different colors so I got one in blue and one in green. I am going to use one to keep writing supplies in at the writing center and the other to keep teacher supplies in at my guided reading table.

 These baskets I also found at Hobby Lobby. Only 75 cents! I got two of them. They are small but I know I'll find good use for them.

 I've been searching for a cute box to keep all my stickers in. Being in lots of different classrooms, I've noticed that sticker stashes can get a little out of hand. I told myself I would find a home for my stickers one day. This is a picture box I found at Hobby Lobby for $4. I love the polka dots, and it's a perfect size for my sticker collection so far!


 My county is making the greatly anticipated transition to Common Core this year. It's exciting that the school will be starting something brand new together and everyone will be in the same boat. This makes me feel less stressed being a first time teacher! I've been finding lots of great assessment packs on TPT.. I just needed to find a way to organize them all. I bought these hanging file bins at Big Lots for $5 each. One for math, one for language arts. Inside, each hanging file will be labeled with a different standard. I can keep assessments organized by standard and easy to pull for each lesson. LOVING the organization!

 Through my teaching jobs, I have also collected fun activities and worksheets related to seasons and holidays. I wanted to find a way to organize them by month rather than having them in a big sloppy pile. This hanging folder bin I got at Walmart for a little under $6. 

 My mother is a SAINT! She knows I have been in an obsessive compulsive rage of organization with my classroom supplies. So this was my birthday present this year--a nifty little label maker! 

 This paper tray was a gift from one of my third graders in the fall. I thought it would be perfect for any letters or forms from home my students bring in in the morning. Rather than having 8 kids surround you throwing lunch money envelopes or absent notes at you, they place it all in here and I check it when I have time. 

 Isn't this post-it holder adorable? It was a gift from my room mom in my kindergarten class. Too cute.

Another Goodwill find- a magazine holder for $2! I love the blue accent inside. I think I might use this to hold the books I will be reading each day. Just need to use my nifty label machine to make a label for it. :)

 For some reason, in a dazed classroom-organizing haze late one night online, I decided I desperately needed these two mesh organizers from Amazon. I can understand why I purchased the $10 desktop organizer on the right- but not sure why I thought I needed this paper stacker on the left. Especially because it was $12. What? Oh well. I'll find a use for it I'm sure.

 These were also bought during my "late night Amazon haze". The one on the left is a file folder organizer from scholastic. I really wanted the one from Mardel, but this one offered free shipping. So, $15 it was. The pocket chart on the right was going to be used for my daily schedule. It was $10 but it also got me free shipping with Amazon's Super Saver shipping. The only thing I found that I don't like is that the plastic strips are kind of thin, and my schedule cards are a little too big for the chart. I think I might end up using it for weekly vocabulary words instead. 

 Mary's back. This poster is from my 2011 wall calendar. I think the illustration and quote is adorable. Just need to put it on a colorful background and laminate it!

 I found these plastic organizers at Goodwill- jackpot! I just can't bring myself to spend 9-10 dollars on these things in Target or Walmart. It is must easier buying them for $4 at Goodwill. I get way too excited when I see something like this for less than $5. It's the little things....

The paper organizers to the right will be used at my writing center to organize the different writing materials.

 More bins found at Goodwill- for 2-3$  each! 

 Got these puzzles and flashcards from the dollar store.

 Another jackpot at Goodwill. A (very) heavy-duty paper organizer! For like $4! It's made of light metal and so sturdy. I think the three slots on the right will organize my "grade/copy/file" papers and the ones on the left will hold folders or books.

More paper trays from Goodwill.


This is JUST the beginning- I feel like every day I am on a hunt for the next item! It is so exciting looking for pieces that will put my classroom together. It's even MORE exciting when I find them for dirt cheap! My next post will be dedicated to my DIY projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment